This handy guide will help you assess your skin type at home.
If you already know your skin type, you can use this guide at the change of every season or lifestyle to learn if your skin has changed.
Knowing your skin type helps you to choose the skincare products that will work best for you.
Prepare your skin
- Remove all make-up using a gentle make-up remover.
- Wash your face with a pea-sized amount of your cleanser. Massage your face gently covering all areas. Rinse off with warm water. Pat dry with a towel.
- Do not apply anything on your skin for an hour. Avoid touching and picking your skin.
Observe your skin
- Look at your skin. How does it look?
- Do you see any redness?
- Do you see any oiliness or shine?
- Do you see any areas of dryness?
- Do you feel any tightness or any itchiness?
- Can you see your pores easily?
- Do you see any new lines or wrinkles?
Examine your skin
- Take a tissue and dab it on your forehead and nose. Do you see any oil on the tissue?
- Gently pull the skin on your cheek. Does your skin feel dry or soft?
- Does your skin feel sensitive to touch?
Splash some water on your skin. Pat dry and apply your regular moisturiser.
Know your skin type
- You have balanced looking skin, not too oily or too dry
- After cleansing your skin feels clean and refreshed.
- You may need a little bit of moisturiser but there is no feeling of dryness or tightness.
- Your skin may have a few dry areas specially in winter and may be prone to occasional hormonal breakouts.
- Your skin looks well looked after.
- You may notice a few changes like fine lines, crows feet when dry.
- The pores on your skin are unnoticeable.
- You don't need to re-apply moisturiser during the day as your skin stays moisturised on its own.
- You have a bit of both (oily with dry zones or vice versa).
- After cleansing, your skin feels clean and refreshed in some areas but dry and tight in other areas..
- Your skin may look oily in a few areas (like the T-zone) and still appear dry and flaky in other areas.
- You are prone to blemishes and breakouts.
- You feel like your skin has a mind of its own.
- The pores around your nose and forehead may appear enlarged and clogged and are invisible in other areas of your face.
- You may need to re-apply moisturiser in some areas of your face during the day.
- Your skin feels greasy or oily by around midday.
- Looks dull but has an oily shine on it.
- After cleansing, it feels clean and fresh but tends to get oily in about an hour.
- Prone to blackheads and whiteheads.
- Pores may look enlarged and may get clogged easily.
- You don't need to re-apply moisturisers during the day as they can make your skin oilier.
- Your skin doesn't get fine lines and wrinkles easily.
- Tolerates new skincare products and regimes fairly well.
- Your skin can get flaky and may crack in winter.
- It’s easily irritated and may feel itchy.
- After cleansing, your skin feels tight and dehydrated
- You tend to be sensitive to new products/ treatments or even the elements.
- Your skin looks dehydrated and dull.
- Your pores are very small and tight.
- You may need to re-apply moisturisers often during the day.
- More prone to wrinkles and fine lines.
- Always use products suited to your skin type
- Exfoliate once a week
- Always use sunscreen
- Always moisturise even if your skin is oily
- Never go to bed with make-up on
- Maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle
You’re done. Being mindful and aware about your skin is the first step to having beautiful skin. Have fun finding the right products for your skin type.